Monday, January 30, 2012

Mumbai Marathon 2012


A shiver ran up my spine as I stepped out of my home at dawn on the fifteenth of January to head towards Bandra Fire Brigade Station – the starting point for the Mumbai Half-Marathon.  I realised that it was not just the low temperatures of the Mumbai winter morning but also the challenge of once again running the 21 km distance alongside 14000 other running enthusiasts that had me excited to the bones.
The route for the ‘half’ is probably the most fascinating one that has the runners go past the sea-link, Worli sea face, Mahalaxami race course, Haji Ali, Babulnath Mandir, Marine drive and ultimately reaching the majestic Chatrapati Shivaji Terminus.
The atmosphere at the holding area at the starting point was electric.  I could see groups of runners warming up, some singing their anthems, many in deep meditation but all raring to go. I too thanked the supreme soul for giving me the opportunity to participate in the event and silently prayed for his support in being able to complete the run.  As the giant clock counted down the roar of the crowd kept rising until at 6:15 AM exactly it was a crescendo and soon thereafter one could only hear thumping of the feet on concrete and heavy breathing as the runners set their own pace for the long route ahead.
As I ran up the sea link I could see the fast runners racing ahead, some like me at a modest pace and some slowing down to a jog but no one was giving up.  The initial miles were passing very slowly and I chose to look away from the markers and kept pegging myself to the runner ahead in an attempt to get ahead.  It was like mountain climbing one mile after one mile.  Dawn broke close to Haji Ali and the Dargah looked serene in the morning mist.  Like me many runners must have said a silent prayer to this sentinel of Mumbai and drawn some more strength to move ahead along the route.
Around the 13 km mark the climb towards Peddar road starts.  Although it is a gradual incline but it is nearly a kilometre long.  I had trained for it and I resolved to take the climb in my stride literally.  But it was getting tough and just then I could hear the cheers of little children lined up across the road with flowers and placards wishing all of us luck and cheering ‘Run Mumbai Run’.  This was just the steroid shot that I needed and I waved at this group and trotted ahead with renewed energy.  Then came the Bhangra Group and then some singers and more pretty girls handing out water, energy drinks and biscuits.  The ‘Mist Spray’ at two locations were great for the body and helped us cool down a bit.
As I turned left on to the Marine Drive the Sun rose from behind the skyline of Mumbai and lit up the path gloriously.  But by now the body was crying to stop, the finish line was still another 6 km away.  Then I told myself – this is the real part of the marathon – keep at it, just keep at it!  Shouting encouragements to each other we continued down the Marine Drive.  Now the soles of the shoes were heating up, every sinew was craving for more oxygen but I had stunned my brain into silence.  There was just one thought – Do not stop.
The banner of the finish line was the most pleasing site in the world at that time.  As I crossed the beeping mat I glanced at the time and boy was I thrilled.  I had managed to better my time by nearly ten minutes!  One more half marathon was complete – Thank you God and I hope I am able to do a ‘full’ sometimes.
- Pradeep Deshpande
(Pradeep is regular volunteer at VIDYA Programs in Mumbai. He actively helps VIDYA in various aspects - from teaching to fundraising. He is currently holds the position of Captain at Air India. Prior to that he held the position of Wing commander at the Indian Air Force)  

No comments:

Post a Comment